Saturday, September 03, 2011

Working = Swimming

Hi you,

It's been too long since the last time I actually write in this blog.
I got lazy, or busy, or another media came in with its improved new features,
or simply, I didn't feel like writing.
It's such a pity remembering this blog has accompanied me through my fragile fun crazy years.

Lately I've been feeling down, yet I don't know why,
and therefore I don't know how to overcome it.
It's been mildly frustrating.
If you need me to guess, I think it has something to do with work
(since I've had a strong laziness attack when I heard anything related to it).



I'm working now, in a multinational consulting company (yay me).
It pays me well, alhamdulillah, I don't think that's the issue.

I'm always very sensitive about the people around me.
I believe that our surroundings can influence us to be better or worse.
And so I most certainly concern about my colleagues that surrounds me in almost 80% of my life now.

At first I think I've had the most wonderful colleagues ever
... then along with time, I keep revising that judgment.

I don't think they're bad in person, but I think too much work hours had made several of them exhausted and brought the worse out of them, making egocentric decision, and put manners aside.
Perhaps I do that too, get too overwhelmed with work, and let it diminished the best of me.
That's a shame.

As I try to shake things, to refresh my mind and soul, I swam.
When I was on my (hopefully) routine swimming exercise, I think of this.
Working is similar as swimming.


- It (should be) for your own good
- You should have a goal.
- Over-doing it is never a good idea, it could suffocate you (see the resemblance?)
- Everyone has their own limit, therefore,
- Don't hesitate to take a break, slow down a little.

Working is like swimming.
It's for your own good.
You swim not to make other people happy, right?
Your swimming don't make other feels healthy.
You swim for you, for your own benefit.
You should swim because you like it, because you want to, because you enjoy it.
Same thing applied to work.

Like every swimming exercise, you should have your own goal.
Goal like : "I should manage to get 10 set of back-and-forth swimming today"
After that goal is reached, you could rest. Or get another goal.
It depends on your own capabilities.
And in swimming, the more often you exercise, you become more capable, and your goal will be more challenging.

Need I say more about overdoing?
You could literally suffocate if you force yourself in swimming.
That feeling will also occurs if you force yourself at work.
Admit that you have a limit, your body has a limit, your mental has a limit.
Your human!
Your have the need to rest, to take your mind off something obligatory, to be able to dream.
And your limit maybe different than others.
Know your limit, know yourself.
Don't over do it, for your own good.


Everybody has their own limit.
In swimming, one may need to take air after half-minute underwater, other may be able to endure until 1 minute, or 2.
Breaking those limit will only bring you harm.

Human need to take a break every once in a while.
Don't feel ashamed by it.
Taking a necessary break will make your (work) life better,
like taking a short breath everytime we swim.
Even professional swimmer do it.
They're still human, they're swimmer, not fish. Haha.

Well, well, look at me writing like a work expert.
This note I share, in case any of you need to be reminded of any of those things above.
But mostly I write this to remind myself.

In the ideal life, I've found my passion, and now currently pursuing it with restlessly.
Wow that's ideal.

Meanwhile I'm in this real life, trying to make things work, one day at a time.

*since recently I've been watching Korean variety show, I'll say;
Hwaiting! :p

pic source
pic source
pic source

No comments: